Thursday, June 2, 2011

Spinach And Egg Burritos. A Breakfast for Popeye ;)

     I said it before...I love breakfast, especially eggs.  I also really enjoy spinach!  I make spinach with egg burritos at least a couple times a week, sometimes more:)  Benjamin loves them, too, and will steal mine if I don't make him any!  This is the most simple recipe, but is so good.  Good tasting and great start to your day.  Protein, vegetable, dairy, and carb.  I always have it with a side of fruit so that it is a "complete" meal.

All you need is:

2 eggs (1 yolk, two whites)
1 cup chopped fresh spinach
shredded mozzarella (I use about 2oz, but it's up to you!) 
2 tsp butter
1/4 tsp chili powder
Pinch of salt
2 to 3 tortillas of choice (I use lite flour or wheat)




     Scramble the 2 egg whites and 1 yolk in a larger sized cereal bowl with the chili powder and pinch of salt.  Once that is mixed, add the cheese and cup of spinach and fold everything together until well combined.
     Once combined, add the butter to a nonstick pan over medium heat and allow it to melt, then pour spinach and egg mixture into pan and cook, stirring constantly, for about 4 or 5 minutes, or until eggs are done and cheese has fully melted.  When the eggs are ready, heat your tortillas in the microwave or in a pan on the stove top (I have a flat top grill on my stove, so I use that).  If heating in the microwave, it only needs to be for 15 to 20 seconds.  If on the stove top, heat for about a minute on each side over medium-low heat.  Now spoon the spinach and egg mixture evenly between the tortillas and roll like a burrito!  Serve with fruit like berries or cantaloupe and ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment