Saturday, May 28, 2011

Onion Hinted Pizza Dough



I love pizza...but I really love making my own pizza at home because I can make it with whatever "abnormal" toppings I want it!  I also like being able to flavor the dough any way I want.  I have several recipes for pizza dough, but the following seems to be my husband's favorite, so I thought I would post the Onion Hinted Dough recipe as my first for pizza entries:)  It is simple and takes less than hour from no dough to done pizza!

What you will need:

 2 Cups flour, plus a little extra for rolling (I use wheat flour)
4 grams (.125oz) of yeast
1 1/2 TBS onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1tsp each of salt and black pepper
6 oz warmed milk (~110 degrees)
2 oz warmed water (~110 degrees)

1) Mix together all the dry ingredients excluding the yeast. I usually use a whisk, but a fork or spoon will do just as well.

2) In a separate bowl pour the yeast into the warmed milk and water and mix well with a whisk until fragrant (about 1 minute).

3) Make a "bowl" in the center of the dry ingredients and pour liquid mixture in, then fold ingredients together with fork or wooden spoon.

4) Once dry ingredients are incorporated slightly by using utensil, use one hand to finish mixing.  Dough should be a little moist, but not sticky.

 5) Form dough into a ball and set in the center of the bowl.

6) Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and let sit for 25 minutes.
7) Preheat oven to 400 degrees while dough is resting.
8)  Once dough has rested, lightly flour a large flat surface for kneading and shaping the dough.  Knead dough about 7 or 8 times until workable.

 9) Shape dough to desired shape and thickness.  I usually do a rectangle and make it fairly thin.  I also like to add a "lip" to the outer part of the dough, as shown below.

10) Place dough on pizza pan if you have one, or on the bottom back of a cookie sheet covered with foil like I do.  Spray the pan or foil lightly with cooking spray first.  Once dough is in place, spray top of dough with cooking spray as well.  This helps the tomato sauce from seeping into the dough.

11) Put tomato sauce of your choice on the dough. I always use homemade sauce.  A VERY simple homemade sauce is to mix 7 to 8 ounces of tomato puree, 2 tsp dried oregano, and 2 tsp dried thyme.

12) Top with desired yummies.  Today I chose shredded mixed cheese with turkey ham for my son and freshly sliced zucchini for me!

13) Place in oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes depending on thickness of dough.  Take out and ENJOY!!!

I will add different flavored dough recipes later on. 
If you have any recipes you would like, please let me know and I will add them as soon as I can!

2 comments:

  1. I used to make a pizza dough in my cuisinar. Haven't made it in years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good! My kids would never eat it, because they hate onions, but I would like to try it.

    ReplyDelete